RAF Mildenhall Lockdown Lifted After Shots Fired During ‘Significant Incident’

A man has been arrested at an airbase in Suffolk amid reports he tried to ram the gates in a “significant incident” that led to shots being fired.

American service personnel “fired shots” after the man tried to enter the base, Suffolk Police said in a statement on Monday. 

The force were called to the airbase at 1.40pm and apprehended the man who suffered “cuts and bruises” during the incident.

He is now in custody.

The base was initially put into lockdown.

No one else was injured as a result of the incident, police said.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed an incident “at the entry point” of RAF Mildenhall, but said police were leading inquiries.

“They just released us from lockdown,” a spokesman for the Mildenhall base, earlier told Reuters.

The US embassy has so far declined to comment.

A US Air Force spokeswoman confirmed the incident had been “contained” and that a suspect had been apprehended.

Suffolk Police are urging members of the public to avoid the area around the airbase.

The force remains at the scene.

MOD statement: ‘We are aware of incident at the entry point of RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk police have primacy; all questions should be referred to them’

December 18, 2017
Police are responding to reports of a significant incident at RAF Mildenhall, further details shortly, follow us for any updates.
Members of the public are asked to avoid the area around RAF Mildenhall for the time being. More to follow shortly.
Spokesman for the USAF 48th Fighter Wing tells BBC that RAF Mildenhall is currently on lockdown following a security incident. Suffolk Police also aware. No further details at this stage.

December 18, 2017
#Breaking Suffolk Police says officers are responding to reports of a “significant incident at RAF Mildenhall”, amid reports of a car trying to ram the gates

December 18, 2017
UPDATE: BBC told that an incident at RAF #Mildenhall – used by the US Airforce – involved an individual in a vehicle trying to force his way through a checkpoint. The individual has been arrested and the incident is now over with an individual in custody of Suffolk Police.

December 18, 2017